Nomis's Thoughts

Random mumblings about Life Email: simonwong1982@yahoo.com.sg Msn: simon_wjr7@hotmail.com =)

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Networking night and the ghost in nanyang audit

Phew... So much things to say but don't know where to start. It was the Accounting Big 4 networking night today and NBS was transformed (or at least Nanyang Audit) into a mini shenton way. I must say that the girls all looked alike - a black jacket and a blouse. I thought collectively, they look like bank tellers. Some of them even brought cameras along to take pics. Plueeeeeesh lah... Like that also want to take pics.

Yu Jun was the emcee for the night and he made some dumb jokes on stage in front of everyone. But those jokes are typically his style, together with his signature laughter (or rather deep chuckle). But kudos to him for having the balls to stand on the stage addressing everyone. I wouldn't have such guts nor memory to do the job man. After some more small talk from Yu Jun, Mark, HJ and I decide to put our bags inside a fire extinguisher point in the auditorium cause it will faciliate movement during the networking event. I will come back to the importance of this point later.

Out of the audit door (we went to put bags so we were one of the last). *Poof* Mini-Shenton way had migrated to the nanyan audit floor and the sight was spectacular. It was just like Raffles Place, with ppl everywhere giving out freebies (okaaaaayy.. the ppl in raffles place dun really give out freebies but they promised freebies if you sign something...) to people with empty arms (like HJ, Mark and I). The networking began in earnest with all the partners, senior managers, managers and associate sharing their personal experiences and giving an insight to what we can expect working in their respective companies.

Among all these noisy chatters, deep murmurings, excited high pitches and laughters and guffaws, I suddenly felt fear. Fear because I might not assimilate into working life in less than a years' time. Fear because I am no longer cocooned in a school. Fear because I might not fulfill my potential. Fear because I see others fighting so hard to be recognised. Fear that I might be left behind in life.

I felt awed. When is it you can talk to a managing partner of a Big 4? Total respect for these guys who made it so far.

I felt humbled. There are so much more things for me to learn and do. The experiences which they described are something which I can never totally understand until I experience them on my own.

I must say that overall, the event had been an interesting one but it dug out all the fears that I had kept to myself all these time.

After the whole event, HJ, Mark and I went back to the auditorium to retrieve our bags. As Hj opened the door, I was the first to step through and I got a fright. It was NBS FOC fright night all over again. There was this girl standing in the dark room (there's another double door leading to the audit) with her face fully illuminated (apparently from her mobile phone - we realised after our shock was over). It was just like FOC Fright Night!!!!! I thot I was seeing things cause there were no reactions from HJ and Mark but as we were retrieving our bags, we were laughing out loud and Mark even say quickly get our bags and get out. Hahahahah..... Damn. I still remembered I punched a "ghost" during the FOC Fright Night. Luckily she wasn't anywhere near me then. Haha....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home