Nomis's Thoughts

Random mumblings about Life Email: simonwong1982@yahoo.com.sg Msn: simon_wjr7@hotmail.com =)

Friday, July 14, 2006

It's all in your mind

Back from my reservist training!! 2 weeks just like that. 2 weeks of my life idled away and waiting for things to happen. Perhaps, regaining a bit of my fitness and meeting some of my army friends annually are the only consolation from this event.

Met up with a friend of mine who is now in the SOF (special operation force). He did not even complete his O-levels but is now enjoying life and drawing a $4k salary. Ah. Life is really good for guys who have no interest or talent in studying.

Army can bring out the worst and best in everyone in an amazing and beautiful way. You are cold and wet and muddy and aching and hungry and you have a weapon on your hand. Given the fact that some other people will be in charge of weapon inspection the next day, it is a no-brainer that most people chose to hand in the weapon before cleaning it over taking the responsibility to clean it. Perhaps these people won’t have a chance to read my blog and repent BUT beware, there are 3 more reservist trainings to go and karma is only around the corner.

Some might wonder what is that event that led us to be cold, wet, muddy, aching and hungry, it’s actually the completion of a “mission” given to us. My team and I were to “attack” a place in Singapore by certain timing and this involved taking a helicopter ride and then walking numerous kilometers with an uncomfortable load over our shoulders. The cemeteries at Lim Chu Kang can be quite scary at 3am but luckily, I was not wearing my specs then and the rows and rows of tombstones were just a blur outline to me.

“1 more step. Come on.”

“Reaching already. Reaching already.”

“Around the corner can rest le.”

So many thoughts flashed past my mind to push my weakening and tired body forward. Curses were made internally as well as countless encouragement and cajoling to will myself on. The elation of completing everything can only be savored when I had cleaned myself and lying onto my bed a few hours later.

That’s right. The lesson taught and reinforced everyday in my NSF life 5 years back remained very much relevant now, be it in the army or in the civilian world.

It’s all in your mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home