Nomis's Thoughts

Random mumblings about Life Email: simonwong1982@yahoo.com.sg Msn: simon_wjr7@hotmail.com =)

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Interesting excerpt...

I have reading Dan Brown's book on and off for the past few days. Completed "Da Vinci Code" a few days back. After reading the book, I felt like going to Vatican and other art museums in Europe to look at all those wonderful art pieces that I can never afford to buy. Though I must admit that my art sucks and my last attempt to draw still-life (I think the object was an apple.. back in sec 2) flopped terribly. I just can't bring it to look LIFE. =( Religion is all about faith. I would love to get my hands on one of those books that counter the points that were brought out in the "Da vinci code" and see both side of the argument. For the record, my religion is buddhism by birth and free-thinker by nature.

Anyway, back to the interesting excerpt. It's from Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons". I find the analogy very clever and interesting:


Rand: "(Referring to God) I don't understand this omnipotent-benevolent thing."

Camerlengo (aide to Pope): "You are confused because the Bible describes God as an omnipotent and benevolent deity. It just mean that God is all-powerful and well-meaning."

Rand: "I understand the concept. It's just... there seems to be a contradiction. Terrible things happen in this world. Human tragedy seems like proof that God could not possibly be both all-powerful and well-meaning. If He loves us and has the power to change our situation, He would prevent our pain, wouldn't He? If God loves us, and He can protect us, He would have to. It seems He is either omnipotent and uncaring, or benevolent and powerless to help."

(At the point, I found myself agreeing but the next paragraph seemed like such a perfect response to this question.)

Camer: "Do you have children, Lieutenant?"

Rand flushed. "No, signore."

Camer: "Imagine you had an eight-year old son... Would you love him?"

Rand: "Of course."

Camer: "Would you do everything in your power to prevent pain in his life?"

Rand: "Of course."

Camer: "Would you let him skateboard?"

Rand: "Yeah, I guess. I'd let him skateboard but i'd tell him to be careful."

Camer: "So as this child's father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes?"

Rand: "I wouldn't run behind him and mollycoddle him if that's what you mean."

Camer: "But what if he fell and skinned his knee?"

Rand: "He would learn to be more careful."

Camer (smiling): "So although you have the power to interfere and prevent your child's pain, you would choose to show your love by letting him learn his own lessons?"

Rand: "Of course. Pain is part of growing up. It's how we learn."

Camer (nodding): "Exactly."



WHOA. Like that also can. Hmmmm.... Interesting... Oui?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home