Nomis's Thoughts

Random mumblings about Life Email: simonwong1982@yahoo.com.sg Msn: simon_wjr7@hotmail.com =)

Monday, October 24, 2005

what you hear, you forget; what you see, you remember; what you do, you understand

The title of this blog is dedicated to a quote made by Prof Foo See Liang during his keynote closing speech at the end of the KPMG iCEE Awards Presentation 2005. He apparantly remembered the quote by Confucius off the cuff and made a very big impression among all of us. We do not know he has so much "ink" in him! Hahahaha.... The pictures are taken by Iris. As the lighting condition is quite dim (coupled with the fact that the digicam is not top notch SLR), some of the pics turned out to be quite bad.

Yay!! My team and I won second place in the competition! Though I MUST admit that it was sheer luck that we made it so high up in the peaking order. Our presentation skills ain't fantastic. Luckily my biz comm tutor wasn't there or she will relook into the scores she gave me. But anyway, well done team!! (I wonder how many of you read my blog but who carez) Remember the first email I sent you guys? I outlined my hope that we can be one of the finalists for the competition though I know it was quite difficult cause only 4 teams are chosen for the competition. In the end, we made it. =)

Of course, it was not all a bed of rose preparing for the competition. We literally worked our heart out to prepare for the presentation. Hours of rehearsals, editing, complaining were put into the slides. We burned our weekend together in school just to get things right. On hindsight, it was a great experience being in the finals. The pressure was tremednous and the competition was intimidating (esp with professional judges around). I learnt quite a lot and I think my smoking skill went up a little bit. Heh... I don't think my team and I will be as motivated or as well prepared if we are not in the finals. Oh yah, the prize was a $50 kino voucher. =) Got new books to read liao. Heh... For those who are interested, the first prize was a $80 voucher.

I just attended the ICPAS (Institute of Certified Public Accountants Singapore) D&D last friday. I was there to receive their scholarship. Before I say anything more, I must thank Marky for reminding me to hand in my application form. I had remembered wrongly the submission date and Marky reminded me. Both of us rushed to complete the form and took our pic using the instant pic machine outside the office (the machine is very lousy. please use it as a last resort). Quite a no. of ppl applied cause there's no interview involved. The school administrators shortlisted a few candidates for ICPAS consideration. I was pleasantly surprised to get a letter from them that I had gotten it. I was even more honored when I was the only final year accountancy student from NTU to receive it. The other NTU recipent was a yr 2 accountancy hunk. Another 4 awards went to SMU students.

The theme was Old Shanghai and there are a lot of ppl dressed to the theme that day. I saw lots of shanghai tai tais and chow yun fats that day man. Haha... I think there were a lot of big shots that day but due to my inadequate knowledge, I failed to recognise more of them. However, I did recognise Prof Gillain (Dean Accountancy), Prof Choo Teck Min (Vice Dean Accountancy), Second minister for finance (and his bodyguards) and the managing partner of KPMG (I recognised him cause I attended KPMG tea session last year). Hence, it's no wonder my legs are all jelly when I go up the stage to receive the cheque and certificate. Heh.. At least my worry for the source of money for convo trip is settled. =P

11 days to exams and I have not started!!! Ahhhh!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home